Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Purpose

Aristotle once said that finding one's purpose (or mission) is merely a matter of knowing where one's talents and the needs of the world intersect.

Merely..........


Merely: only as specified and nothing more; simply


Regarded as one of the most important founding figures in Western philosophy, student of Plato, teacher of Alexander the Great, for a man whose writings included subjects that ranged from physics to poetry, theater to logic, rhetoric, politics, government, ethics, and biology, I suppose finding one's life purpose was, in a word, simple.


So where am I going with all this philosophical mumbo jumbo? continue...


As some of you heard me express, among my purpose(s) in coming down to Belize were to rediscover and pinpoint what I am passionate about, what are my strengths, and figure out how I can channel these things into a sustainable vocation. To date, I can boast a growing list of passions- can't we all- unfortunately, they seem to change from day to day: human rights, public health, food and nutrition, farming, arts & trades, teaching. One thing is certain, however, and this has taken me a long time to come to terms with this: If I take the risks I wish to take, orienting myself to accomplishing the tasks that will help me reach(fulfill) the deepest desires in my heart, those ones that are so sacred and pure that they can barely be whispered to even the closest of friends, the kind that call one to live both literally and figuratively outside of the fortress walls that man is taught to erect, then really, achieving this quarry is going to take TIME. And I have come to terms with that.


Enough said. Anyways, the internet has been fickle for the past few weeks and I am starting to think that who ever is behind gmail has a personal vendetta with me. I have resolved to using my former email address, so if anyone would like to reach me I will be more readily available at: simi0026@d.umn.edu


I have finally taken some pictures of the sites and sounds, people and places I frequent and will attempt to post them this weekend. There is so much work to be done and so little time to do it... :D


Alright, thanks again for tuning in and for the wonderful emails, cards, well wishes and prayers. I do apologize for responses that tarry, mostly this has been due to restricted computer access and the internet being down. I do want you all to know, with my utmost sincerity, you are most definitely on my heart!


Ciao


1 comment:

  1. I like your comments regarding Aristotle's simple definition of finding one's purpose...only if it were that simple :D....this also reminds me of something helen keller said "I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something"...I'm positive you'll find what you are looking for Jen! It takes great strengh of character to devote time and effort to explore deep within and rediscover yourself ...you have that and I'm sure you'll succeed! I enjoyed reading your blogs :D

    ReplyDelete